The Start

So...this is where the adventure begins..

Oct 2016, and I've just completed the Soldiers' Charity Frontline Walk. 
FLW 2016 finish @ Menin Gate

This was my first effort at charity fundraising, the walk consisted of 100 kilometres over 3 days along the WW1 Somme frontline from the Lochnagar Crater to the Ypres. Physical, and emotional, the challenge was made bearable in the company of 100 other like minded money raising individuals. In the short period we were together, we experienced something special, and forged friendships that have endured. The most moving part was the final walk up to the Menin Gate at Ypres. We walked in two columns, and as we got closer people in cafes stood and applauded. I guess we were tired, but it was so up-lifting. One of those 'memory of a lifetime' moments. Very proud of my achievement, I exceeded my pledged amount, and completed the walk..but..what to do now? How do you top that?



I realised whilst training for the FLW, that I rather liked walking, especially long distance walks, and that I should find a new challenge. I don't remember now, how I found out about the South West Coast Path, but I knew it was the right one. 630 miles in a continuous national trail (the longest in the UK). So, I made the decision in November, and started researching what I needed to do, to make it happen. I found two great resources, firstly the South West Coast Path organisation, and secondly, the vlogger Darwin on the Trail
I became a member of the SWCP org, it was a very useful thing to do, as they send you a 'handbook' which gives suggested week long itineraries, day by day guides, tide times, and lots of other very useful information!
Darwin, is a 'thru hiker' (non-stop trail hiker), who gives the benefit of his experience including kit reviews, how to reduce backpack weight, and general advice on completing long distance walks, like the Appalachian Trail (2000+ miles) which some complete in a single go!

I determined to complete this year (2017), but realised that I wouldn't be able to complete the SW Coast Path in one go (7 weeks), and decided to choose separate weeks over an eight month period, from March to Oct. 




Comments